Phase I- Maximum Protection (Weeks 0 to 6)
- 0-4 weeks protected WB in boot
- 4-6 weeks WBAT in boot
- Straight leg raise program to maintain hip, quadriceps and hamstring strength
- Core strengthening
Phase II- Range of Motion and Early strengthening (Weeks 6 to 12)
- Wean out of boot at six weeks into a supportive shoe
- Begin passive and active DF/PF of the first MTP
- Intrinsic foot strengthening
- Ankle strengthening
- Proprioception training
- Stationary bike at 6 weeks
- Elliptical at 8 weeks
Phase III- Progressive Strengthening (Weeks 12-16)
- Advance Strength and balance training
- Outdoor biking
- Gradually work back into linear running and impact activity. Progress to full activity will happen gradually between 3-6 months post-surgically.
- Gradually progress to rotational activity at 4 months.
- Walking and running mechanics need to be closely evaluated and potentially corrected by your physical therapist.